Thursday, September 16, 2010

Pacifiers for Trains


In the last month we have broken Abbey of two habits that we weren't fans of. The first was this need to wear a band aid on her finger for naps and to bed at night. That is two band aids a day people! It all started about a year ago when she burned her thumb on my hair straightener. I bought some colorful fun Sesame street and Dora band aid which apparently are crack for toddlers. Abbey had to wear one to bed otherwise she would throw a fit. I know I know! I was weak and gave in because she is a good sleeper and I didn't want to give that up and I didn't want to fight the battle. So a year later, (sigh) she was still wearing band aids and they where a regular purchase when we went to the store. Honestly, two bandaids a day for a year...that's like 650 bandaids!! Finally about a month ago before NY I thought enough is enough. I started telling her at every nap and every night that when the band aids ran out of the box there would no more band aids. (Repetition is key with Abbey) The day came where the box was empty and I was nervous but she did great. There was a little sadness and she did ask for a band aid for a couple weeks but now we are a band aid free. It feels good!!

Now for habit #2: After David was born we tried to get him to take a pacifier but ended up with Abbey addicted to them. She wants everything that is David's. Sigh again. And in the last month she has been taking the paci everywhere and throwing fits about it and we just couldn't take it anymore. So for a couple days I told her she could buy anything toy she wanted at the toy store but she would have to use the pacifiers to pay for it. Yesterday morning Abbey and I had a mother/daughter date. We went to boo boo's then got some chocolate milk and headed to the toy store. The toy store guy over head me explain the game plan to Abbey once more and he said "O yes! The good old pacifier / toy exchange". Abbey picked out a Thomas the train that lights up and makes noise. She tried to negotiate to keep her pink pacifier but the toy guy played along nicely and said "the train will cost all the pacifiers". We are now a pacifier free home.

5 comments:

  1. Both stories are great! I'm sure you're glad to have broken those habbits. James is the exact opposite of Abby in regards to the band-aids. He is terribly afraid of them for some reason. When getting a shot he is more terrified of the band-aid then the shot...weird! Beautiful family pic at the top! Hope you are all doing well!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jenn, you're such a great mom.

    and shoot, if I could pay for things by giving up bad habits, I'd be all in! I like that system... way better than money.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great post. Love the two ways that we try to get rid of bad habits: cold turkey and replacing it with something else. So thankful that God generously takes our bad and offers us his good.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Jenn I love this! Bandaids are crack for toddlers and we are totally addicted over here as well. We go through 2 bandaids a day for the girls, sometimes 3 if Mase decides to play the game. I used to have the rule you had to be bleeding to get one but I decided their are bigger battles to face. So for now we are still addicted and needed intervention. Maybe Abbey could share her recovery story with the girls:)
    You're a great mom!

    ReplyDelete