Monday, June 7, 2010

David's birth story

David James Lamb was born on May 6th at 4:15 in the morning. The day before was a normal day. Friends from the Berkeley staff team were in town so we walked downtown for dinner at Moe's and ate pulled pork sandwiches. By the time we walked home I wasn't feeling well so I decided not to go to Bible study. Instead I got Abbey to bed and rested on the coach where I fell sleep till Kevin came home around 11pm. I got up to go to the bathroom and then I felt a pop. I thought I was peeing but that would have been a world record for the longest pee. I definitely knew then that my water broke and this was it. I called for Kevin and we both wondered around the house in circles anxiously gathering all the things we needed.
After Caellin Douglas came over t o watch Abbey we made our way to the hospital. I still wasn't feeling any contractions at this point and didn't for another hour. Then they started...at first they weren't too bad and I thought I can do this. I was planning on not getting any drugs, I figured my labor with Abbey was short, I can do it natural again.
I labored for 3 hours through intense contractions on one of those exercise balls. I was feeling proud of myself because I was much more relaxed then with Abbey but then the contractions became long and hard with little rest in between. I wasn't dilated any more then when I came in and that is when I thought, what if this labor isn't short, I can't do this any more. So I asked for an epidural. I was frustrated that I asked for one but I didn't think I could make it. I didn't know then but when you get to the "I can't do this any more" stage that is when your body is in transition right before you start to push.
Well, by the time the anesthesiologist got there an hour later, I felt like I had to push. My doctor hadn't been called, I was so scared and in so much pain. Kevin and the nurses convinced me to relaxed and then I pushed this little baby out in 3 pushes. My doctor never made it and the nurse did the delivery and yell "It's a boy". The nurse placed a boy with a full head of brown hair on my chest all goopy and it was love at first sight. I looked at Kevin and he was a mess, weeping with happiness. I found out later that He came out with one arm out (ouch!) and with his umbilical cord wrapped around his neck. It was lose but still scary. David is healthy and gaining weight like crazy. We feel so thankful to God for two beautiful and healthy children.

8 comments:

  1. First, CONGRATULATIONS on a very handsome baby boy! I hope you all are doing well!

    And thanks for posting his birth story. I love hearing these. I think you're the first girl I know who went into labor because their water broke. So cool. Jack also had the cord wrapped around his neck, except his was very tight, the doc had to cut it while he was still inside to get him out. So scary. Most be something about those second child boys :-)

    Praying for you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So, so cool!!! Praise the Lord!!! He looks like you, too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Way to go, Jenn! He is so cute and he looks like YOU! I love it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for sharing your story! You did such a great job!! And he is so adorable...especially with all that hair :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. CONGRATS TO YOUR FAMILY!!! Found your blog through Rohrer's blog! So glad to see your sweet family!
    Meredith(Kerger)Morgan

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love him. Love you. Way to go Jenn!

    ReplyDelete
  8. aww happy for you two. saw kevin today at food 4 less. would love to see you this summer...it's been too long.

    ReplyDelete