Friday, August 20, 2010

The Comparison Game

I am really into this new website http://www.girltalkhome.com

It is a website where 4 different woman sharing thoughts about homemaking, marriage, motherhood, being a woman of God through the Word. It’s where the gospel is prized most of all. I have reading through The Snare of Compare series and it is kicking my butt.

Here is just the first paragraph...

"How do we respond when someone else gets what we want? We compare our situation to theirs. We measure our lot against theirs—especially if we think they have it better than we do. Why can she eat whatever she wants and stay so skinny and I just look at a piece of chocolate and gain 5 pounds? Why does she have that gorgeous face and I look so average? Why can she barely study and make a 4.0, and I have to work so hard for a 2.5 Why does she have such a beautiful voice and I can’t even carry a tune? Why can she decorate and sew and paint and do photography, and I can’t even make a pillowcase? Why does she get pregnant without trying and I am still infertile after all these years? Why is she married at 20 and I am 35 with no man in sight? Why does her husband lead their family and mine won't initiate anything spiritual? Why does she have a big beautiful home for just the two of them when our family of seven is still crammed into this little townhouse?"

Ever had thoughts like these? Well, I was so convicted and now as I continue to read through the series I am asking God to change me. Check out the website and their blog and let me know what you think.

4 comments:

  1. This sounds like just what I need. I'm still very much into the comparison game even though it's pointless because God created us the way He wanted us to be. Then I get into the whole "But I'm so much better at ____ than she is" which isn't the point either. Anyway, thanks for posting this.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so glad you shared this website, Jenn. I've been reading it since you posted and have been so encouraged. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am totally going to check that book out! Thanks for sharing Jenn!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I enjoy this site too. Yep this is a convicting one! Thanks for sharing, I'd like to read more.

    ReplyDelete