Thursday, April 8, 2010

Tell Mommy when you have to use the Potty

I am proud to say that our first child is potty trained. I was nervous about the whole thing and definitely had my doubts going into it. But I thought I had to try before this next baby comes. So, I asked the facebook world for any tips and a friend, Amanda from our old Sunday school class in Tucson told me about this 3 day method that she swore by. You throw away all your left over diapers, you use no pull ups, only underwear(even at night and naps, yikes!) and it is all positive reinforcement (no consequences or hinting that you are frustrated). Oh, and you never ask if they have to use the potty. You just keep saying over and over again, "Tell mommy when you have to use the potty" that way they learn when they have to go and to tell you. The whole method made sense to me and I felt more confident. But the first day Abbey went through 30 pairs of underwear and I thought she would never get it and I wanted to give up. But Amanda encouraged me to keep going. So, we were home bound for 3 days drinking lots of juice, putting lots of stickers on the little potty (especially veggie tales stickers), enjoying chocolate covers raisins after any success and singing a made up potty song over and over again. But at the end of 3 days Abbey had no accidents during the day and after 5 days none at night and naps. Complete success!! Great job Abbey!!

8 comments:

  1. Seriously, this is awesome. And it makes me smile to think of you and Abbey dancing around singing a made up potty song...there was dancing right?
    Great Job Abbey!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. there was definitely dancing Cara. But it was more like be holding Abbey on my gigantic belly bouncing up and down while singing. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Go Abbey!!!!! (And mom for not giving up!)

    ReplyDelete
  4. wow! I'm super impressed! Way to go :) Can you make a trip up here for 3 days and help me with my kids? I'll give you positive reinforcement, too....:)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Good Job Jenn! I don't think you should help Kyra...I think you should come to me...I won't even make you potty train...we can just hang out!

    ReplyDelete
  6. That is amazing! I will have to remember those tips. And then maybe go to Kyra and Jenn's house for some positive reinforcement. They crack me up!

    ReplyDelete
  7. WOW!!!!!! So excited for YOU and Abbey! Abbey needs to come and help Kate. Maybe soon Kate will join Abbey in the world of using the potty!! Can't wait to see you and meet your little one! (any day now!)

    ReplyDelete